Saturday, October 13, 2012

What is "The Rugged Sophisticate?"

  "Rugged sophisticate" is a term I coined at approximately 1700 hours (5pm, for my civilians) on Friday, October 12, 2012. I was talking to a friend of mine about men's style, specifically, what I like to see. Later, I expounded on this theory in a Facebook status: "Looks like he chops down trees and drinks dry martinis, sails and bare-knuckle boxes, keeps a dimple in his tie and a Magnum in the back pocket of his Acne jeans....mmmmm...." 

  To me, rugged sophistication suggests a man who is meticulous in his appearance, but knows that the clothes don't make the man. I'm a tomboy and a Soldier, so I prefer a guy who can put a dimple in his tie and owns several pairs of cufflinks, but can also beat me in Combatives and keeps his weapon clean without having to be told. Rugged sophistication is about details over drama: quality stitching, fabric with heft, clean lines, durability. Its cool that you have the latest re-issued Jordans in every color, but when the rubber meets the road, the rugged sophisticate knows nothing beats a good Pendleton anorak and some Hunter boots.


No comments:

Post a Comment